All of this wet weather recently has caused an influx of toads and mushrooms throughout backyards all-over Capalaba and South-East Queensland.

Cane Toads secrete a toxin from glands on each shoulder, the glands release the poison when the toad feels threatened. If ingested, this venom can cause excessive salivation, retching, vomiting, seizures and paralysis. Immediate first aid should be started at home, followed by a visit to your local vet or emergency center for continued treatment, particularly if they are showing any of the above symptoms.

First aid which should be applied at home is as follows:

Using a damp cloth, thoroughly wipe over the tongue and gums to remove any residual poison. It is extremely important that you do not use the hose directly inside the pet’s mouth, this can cause accidental inhalation of the water and result in aspiration pneumonia. Rinse the cloth thoroughly in between wipes. Contact your closest vet or emergency center and get your pet checked over, especially if they are showing any signs such as excessive salivation, vomiting or seizures or if you are unsure if you successfully removed all the toxins from the gums.

Mushrooms can also make your pet quite unwell when ingested. There are many species of mushrooms, many are toxic, and many are not, unfortunately there is no way to easily figure out if the mushroom growing in your yard is toxic or not. If your dog does eat a mushroom, toxicity will depend on the type of mushroom and the amount that is eaten, signs can occur anywhere from 2 – 24 hours. Signs of toxicity can be quite vague, usually dogs will only have some vomiting and/or diarrhoea. The easiest way to prevent mushroom toxicity is to monitor the growth in your yard and remove them immediately, and when out walking keep a close eye on your dog to ensure they aren’t becoming too interested in any mushrooms along the footpaths and grassy areas.

If you are concerned your dog has eaten a mushroom it is a good idea to seek veterinary attention, and if possible, bring the mushroom with you, this way it can be sent off for analysis to discover if it is toxic or not.