Did you know, just 50g of chocolate can be toxic and kill a dog!
The problem is that the systems of cats and dogs cannot tolerate theobromine, one of the key ingredients of chocolate. Theobromine can cause a range of problems in domestic animals because it triggers the release of adrenaline, which can lead to a greatly accelerated heart rate and an irregular heartbeat.
Some signs your pet may have ingested chocolate:
- Excessive Urination
In serious cases, pets can become depressed, enter a coma, have seizures and die. If you think your pet has eaten something it shouldn’t, call Animal Emergency Services or Baybreeze Vets straight away!
But chocolate isn’t the only potential hazardous food for pets. Some others include: hot cross buns, raisins, grapes and sultanas, onions, corn cobs, cooked bones and fatty BBQ foods.
Fatty foods in BBQ left overs can affect the animals’ pancreas and lead to pancreatitis. Cooked bones can also cause major problems. They’re brittle and the sharp slivers can either lodge in the throat or pierce the stomach lining.
If you’re planning on holidaying with your pets this Easter, remember their safety!
Never leave your pets unattended in or on vehicles, and please appropriately restrain your dogs on the back of utes when travelling. We don’t want to see dogs flying from vehicles again this holiday season.
If you can’t take your pet on holiday, consider booking a reputable pet sitter through someone like PetCloud and register your pet’s details with the RSPCA’s Home Alone service.
As always, if you require any assistance or advice, please feel free to contact Baybreeze Vets today!